Translatable Information Below. Select your preferred language by selecting "Translate web page" above.
PARENT INVOLVEMENT POLICY
A strong partnership between the school and home is essential if a quality educational program is to be provided to all students. Allen Frear Elementary School is dedicated to the philosophy that parent involvement is integral to the success of each child.
Parent Involvement means the participation of parents/caregivers in regular, two-way meaningful communication to ensure:
- · Parents/caregivers play an integral role in assisting their child’s learning;
- · Parents/caregivers are encouraged to be actively involved in their child’s education at school;
- · Parents/caregivers are full partners in their child’s education and are included, as appropriate,
in decision-making and on advisory committees to assist in the education of their child.
We view parents/guardians as joint policy and decision-makers and plan to emphasize their roles as advocates for children. Parents are encouraged to provide input in making our school the best it can be through yearly review of our policy. Our motto of “One Team, One Goal, No Limits” relies on parents being part of the team and assisting in making decisions that impact our children academically, socially, and emotionally. If you have any questions, please call our school at 302-697-3279.
With both school and parent input, the following activities were planned and will be implemented to promote parental involvement and additional support for student learning:
- Allen Frear Elementary School will incorporate the Student/Family/School Compact as a component of its Parental Involvement Policy. The compact will be disseminated in the first Wednesday envelope of each school year and with all registration packets after the first Wednesday of school.
- Allen Frear Elementary School will provide assistance to parents in understanding topics; such as the State’s academic content standards (Common Core State Standards), student academic achievement standards, the State and local academic assessments including alternate assessments, how to monitor their child’s progress, and how to work with educators through:
- · Annual Title I Parent Night
- · Open House
- · School-wide celebrations (Example: Chinese Immersion Celebration, Family Fun Nights)
- · Achievement Liaison Teacher – is a teacher who serves as a liaison for parent involvement,
teacher quality, and student achievement. The ALT can be reached by calling the school at 302-
- · Parent/Teacher Conferences held on district scheduled days and/or made by appointment to
meet with teachers to discuss student progress and support
- · Our Allen Frear Elementary School Parent/Teacher Association (PTA). The website is
www.allenfrearpta.com. Our PTA President is Katie Scott.
- Allen Frear Elementary School will provide materials and training to help parents work with their children to improve academic achievement by hosting events such as:
- · Annual Title I Parent Night
- · Parent Information Nights to help parents understand how to contribute to their child’s education
- · School Book Club
- · Family Learning Nights
- · Sending home approved flyers in Wednesday envelopes to share educational events and ideas.
- · SBAC/Assessment Information
- Allen Frear Elementary School will, to the extent feasible and appropriate, coordinate and integrate parental involvement strategies in Part A of Title 1 Regulations with parent involvement strategies under other programs; such as Head Start and the Parent Information Center (PIC) of Delaware as well as conduct other activities that encourage and support parents in maximizing participation in the education of their children by:
- · Inviting parent organizations, such as PTA, to present at school-based Parent Night.
- · Disseminating approved materials from parenting organizations through Wednesday envelopes.
- · Inviting parent organizations to display materials and answer questions at school family nights.
- · Sharing links to local parent support organizations on school website.
- Allen Frear Elementary School will take the following actions to ensure that information related to the school and parent programs, meetings, and other activities, is sent to the parents in an understandable and uniform format, including alternative formats upon request, and, to the extent practicable, in a language the parents can understand through:
- · Wednesday Envelopes that are sent home weekly with student work and school notices.
- · Allen Frear Elementary School’s website which contains school information, as well as teacher
links. Our website address is https://www.crk12.org/Domain/13
- · Home Access Center which is available to parents 24 hours a day to give parents/caregivers
access to their student’s schedule, attendance, assigned class work, and grades. A personal password may be obtained through the school to be used on any computer equipped with internet access. Email links are available throughout the center, so parents can communicate easily with teachers and school officials. The website is http://hac.doe.k12.de.us/homeaccess, the district calendar, school newsletter and marquee in front of the school that promote parent meetings and seminars.
- · Automated Phone Messaging System that allow the school and district to send messages across the phone system. It is the parents’/caregivers’ responsibility to keep phone numbers updated with the school’s main office.
- · Student academic progress communicated regularly through interim progress reports and report cards.
- Allen Frear Elementary School will provide information on roles, volunteer opportunities, and activities parents can engage in to increase their involvement and support for learning:
- · Mentoring/Chaperone/Volunteer
- · Teacher/Library Assistance
- · Chorus/Band Concerts
- · School Events including activities such as, Academic Olympics, Family Fun Nights, Book Clubs,
Family Skate Night, Academic Events, Field Day, etc.
- Allen Frear Elementary School, with the involvement of parents, will conduct an annual evaluation of the content and effectiveness of this parental involvement policy and Student/Family/School Compact. The evaluation will include identifying barriers that prevent parent participation and involvement in activities. Allen Frear Elementary School will use the findings to design strategies for more effective involvement, and to revise, if necessary its parental involvement policy. This evaluation will be accomplished by:
- · Having copies of School Parental Involvement Policy and Student/Family/School Compact for comment.
- · Inviting parents to serve on the School Success Plan.
- · Inviting parents to serve on our School Committees; for example, The AFE Leadership
Committee, School Success Plan Committee, Frear Events Committee, and the PBIS Committee.
- · Parental Involvement Survey administered by the Achievement Liaison Teacher.
- Parents may request a copy of the District Parental Involvement Policy through the school’s main office or access the policy via the Caesar Rodney Instruction Division’s website at https://www.crk12.org/domain/560