CRSD Parental Involvement Policy SY'22
A strong partnership between the school and home is essential if a quality educational program is to be provided to all students. W.B. Simpson Elementary is dedicated to the philosophy that parent involvement is integral to the success of each child.
Parent Involvement means the participation of parents/caregivers in regular, two-way meaningful communication to ensure:
- parents/caregivers play an integral role in assisting their child's learning;
- parents/caregivers are encouraged to be actively involved in their child's education at school;
- parents/caregivers are full partners in their child's education and are included, as appropriate,
- in decision-making and on advisory committees to assist in the education of their child.
We view parents as joint policy and decision makers and plan to emphasize their roles as advocates for children. Parents are encouraged to provide input in making our school the best it can be through yearly review of our policy. If you have any questions, please call our school at (302)697-3207.
With both school and parent input, the following activities were planned and will be implemented to promote parental involvement and additional support for student learning:
- W.B. Simpson Elementary will incorporate the School Parent Compact as a component of its School Parental Involvement Policy. The compact will be disseminated in the Wednesday envelope.
- W.B. Simpson Elementary will provide assistance to parents in understanding topics such as the State's academic content standards, student academic achievement standards, the State and local academic assessments including alternate assessments, how to monitor their child's progress, and how to work with educators through:
- Parent Information Nights
- Open House
- Achievement Liaison Teacher - Tamara Miller is a teacher who serves as a liaison for parent involvement, teacher quality, and student achievement. She can be reached by calling the school or via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- School Website: http://www.simpson.cr.k12.de.us
- W.B. Simpson Elementary will provide materials and training to help parents work with their children to improve their children's academic achievement, such as literacy training, and using technology, as appropriate, to foster parental involvement, by:
- Parent Information Nights to help parents understand how to contribute to their child's education.
- Parent/Teacher Conferences held on district scheduled days and/or made by appointment to meet with teachers to discuss student progress and support.
- Sending home approved flyers in Wednesday envelopes and/or Classtag to share local activities promoting parental involvement.
- W.B. Simpson Elementary will, to the extent feasible and appropriate, coordinate and integrate parental involvement strategies in Part A with parent involvement strategies under other programs such as Head Start and the Parent Information Center of Delaware as well as conduct other activities, such as parent resource centers, that encourage and support parents in more fully participating in the education of their children by:
- Disseminate approved materials from parenting organizations through Wednesday envelopes and/or classtag.
- Invite parent organizations to display materials and answer questions at school family nights
- Share links to local parent support organizations on school website.
- W.B. Simpson Elementary will provide information on roles, volunteer opportunities, and activities parents can engage in to increase their involvement and support for learning:
- Teacher assistance
- Book Fair Helpers
- Library assistant
- Chorus/Band Concerts
- Field Day
- Fifth grade awards ceremony
- Parent/Teacher Organizations
- PBS Celebrations
- Word Study
- Monthly Family Nights
- W.B. Simpson Elementary will take the following actions to ensure that information related to the school and parent programs, meetings, and other activities, is sent to the parents in an understandable and uniform format, including alternative formats upon request, and, to the extent practicable, in a language the parents can understand through:
- Wednesday Envelopes are sent home each week with student work and school notices. Digital Wednesday Envelopes are sent on classtag each week.
- Home Access Center is available to parents 24 hours a day to give parents/caregivers access to their student's schedule, attendance, assigned class work, grades, and grades. A personal password may be obtained through the school to be used on any computer equipped with internet access. Email links are available throughout the center so parents can communicate easily with teachers and school officials. http://hac.doe.k12.de.us/homeaccess
- The district calendar and marquee in front of each school will promote parent meetings and seminars. School Messenger allows the school and district to send messages across the phone system. It is the parents/caregivers' responsibility to keep phone numbers updated with the school's main office.
- Student academic progress is communicated regularly through interim reports and report cards.
- W.B. Simpson Elementary, with the involvement of parents, will conduct an annual evaluation of the content and effectiveness of this parent involvement policy and School-Parent Compact. The evaluation will include identifying barriers to greater participation by parents in parental involvement activities. W.B. Simpson Elementary will use the findings of the evaluation to design strategies for more effective involvement, and to revise, if necessary its parental involvement policy. This evaluation will be accomplished by:
- Sending home copies of School Parental involvement Policy and School-Parent Compact for comment
- Inviting parents to serve on the School Improvement Plan Committee
- Parents may request a copy of the District Parental Involvement Policy through the school's main office or access the policy via the Caesar Rodney Instruction Division's website at http://www.instruction.cr.k12.de.us/title.html