ENGLISH AS A SECOND LANGUAGE
There is no equality of treatment merely by providing students with the same facilities, textbooks, teachers, and curriculum; for students who do not understand English are effectively foreclosed from any meaningful education.
English as a Second Language (ESL) services in the Caesar Rodney School District are offered to help students, whose dominant language is other than English, become fully English proficient and meet or exceed the academic standards set by the State of Delaware.
- Meeting the needs of our diverse English learner (EL) population.
- Bringing quality instructional support and resources that enable EL students to progress academically in all content areas while learning English.
- Increasing the percentage of EL students meeting or exceeding the standards on state-wide academic assessments.
- Increasing the overall proficiency scores of EL students on the annual English language proficiency assessments.
- Improving communication with and between staff members, students, and outside community.
- Providing professional support to teachers who have EL students in their classroom.
Who is an EL?An EL is a student who:
If you have any questions regarding the Caesar Rodney School District's ESL program, please contact:
- was not born in the United States or whose heritage language is a language other than English and comes from an environment where a language other than English is dominant, OR
- is a Native American, or Alaska Native, or a native resident of the outlying areas and comes from an environment where a language other than English has had a significant impact on such individual's level of English proficiency, OR
- is migratory and whose heritage language is other than English and comes from an environment where a language other than English is dominant, AND
- has sufficient difficulty speaking, reading, writing, or understanding the English language, that may interfere with the student's opportunity to learn successfully in classrooms where the language of instruction is English, or to participate fully in society
Dr. Darren Guido, Supervisor of Instruction: email@example.com
Dr. Oribel McFann-Mora, Langaue Acquisition Coordinator: firstname.lastname@example.org